6.27.2005

Goof

I just got completely derailed in the middle of leaving a phone message. I was midway through my message when somebody picked up the phone on the other end. I expected to hear a "hello" and then to have to repeat what I'd just said, so I quit talking and waited. No hello. They just hung up. Then I wasn't sure if the tape was still rolling, because they picked up and then hung up again and does that stop the tape? I don't know. I'd feel like a doofus just talking to air, but I'd feel like more of a doofus just dropping out in the middle of a phone message for no apparent reason. And that's when I realized that that's exactly what I was doing by sitting there like an idiot and not talking. By that time, I'd forgotten the last thing I'd said and took another few seconds to recover and stutter myself up to date. I quickly finished relaying my information, hung up, and spent the next few minutes wondering how much dead air I'd left on their machine. It felt like an eternity.

Does anyone else panic when their impromptu ramblings are being recorded for posterity? Does anyone else occasionally feel like most of their job consists of concealing the fact that they're a great big goof?

Goof. That's a funny word. And I'm a funny me. I'm such a goof. Goof. Goofgoofgoofgoofgoofgoof!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a goof is a Finlayson thing Liz. Take a closer look and you will see that your dad has the goof gene. I was double dipped in the goof gene pool. Don't sweat it. Your sense of humor should help in detracting onlookers attention. I myself use laughter. It's not as graceful as your father's but it works for me. Your dad is an intellectual goof who learned to explain his way out of a stupid moment. Brook can theoretically explain how the goof in question was in fact intentional or an in fact an example to the world around...yadda yadda yadda. You'll soon find your own way to detract onlookers. Use the force Goog!

Anonymous said...

See...I actually goofed on the word goof! Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

you know what? i usually perfer to leave a message than talk to the person if it's a stranger. because i am lame! lame, i tell you!
-jp

woodlayson said...

I actually do too. I even prefer leaving a message when it's someone I know (unless I'm just calling to chat, which never happens). It's easier to relay information quickly and efficiently in a message, and that's all I ever use those vile phones for.