1.31.2005

Paying the Piper

Good luck at the dentist today, Kris! May you be blessed with grace, endurance, and strong drugs.

It's tax time. And for me, that means that there is a particular cubby hole of my past that I would very much like to forget about entirely which now must be revisited, one last time.

Remember that job I quit earlier this year? Well I didn't quit soon enough, because I actually made over $600 in revenue from said job in 2004. That means that I need a 1099. Now, the guy I worked for is an unbelievable idiot, and I am confident that it has not, until my phone call this morning, even occured to him that he would need to file a 1099 for me. In fact, and I'm not kidding, he does not know what a 1099 is. So, knowing I was completely wasting time and breath asking him about things that are beneath him, things like taxes, I asked him who was handling the filing. My former boss would call the CPA and get back with me tomorrow. Okay? Okay. Whatever. I'm calling the CPA.

So I did. Know what? He's not "handling" the taxes at all. He's filing something completely different. But the form he's filing has two 9's in the title, so it must be the same thing, right? No, Former Boss, you're a moron. The CPA (a really nice guy who was trying his darnedest to be helpful) was more or less apprised of the financial situation of my former place of employ, and he wasn't at all sure that my wages from last year could even be reconstructed. Apparently, they've been having some trouble with misuse of funds and poor tracking of cash flow. Gosh, I wonder who could be responsible for that.

Today was his IRS deadline to have my 1099 in the mail. So I guess I'll take the gloves off and see if that gets me anywhere. That's one bridge I don't mind burning.

No comments: