1.24.2005

Of hobnobbing and excellent wine

Saturday night was my first ever swanky sit-down dinner (as opposed to the less formal buffet style). It wasn't really swanky. The dress was business casual. But there was a four-course meal served on real china, so I consider that as swanky a gathering as I'm ever likely to participate in. It was the annual meeting of the Chamber of Commerce.

Trying to get ready was a slight debacle (who doesn't have a shirt that matches black pants? me.). Thanks, Laura, by the way, for having a decent wardrobe and a key to my house. But when I got there, it was kinda fun. I felt like I was infiltrating an underground society. And the wine, she was awesome. Kendall Jackson Reserve, my favorite. Oh but then there was talking, and PowerPoint, and that made my ass hurt. There was a lot of back-patting and mutual admiration, and that made my eyes roll. But it was an intriguing social experiment, and I got to try on that sanguine alter-ego I've been working on.

No comments: