4.20.2005

Eureka!

Today, I unlocked the mystery of clipping masks. For those of you who are familiar with Adobe Illustrator, you know that this wondrous function is something a toddler could do. But I didn't know that until today, so I will insist on feeling an enormous sense of accomplishment for figuring it out all by myself. I didn't even have to call Laura.

The trouble with not having a formal education in a field in which you work is that, however competent you are, you are bound to find bizarre gaps in your learning curve. It's irritating, and it makes everything take longer. But oh, the sweet victory of conquering something new. I feel strangely compelled to run through the streets naked.

3 comments:

LBC said...

That's so funny! A year or so ago, someone was asking me how to do that in Illustrator, only I never had had to, so I didn't know and when I tried to figure it out, I didn't know what it was called. And then a few weeks ago, I heard this guy say "clipping path" and I had the Eureka! moment. I just knew that was what it was called. Crazy, huh?

woodlayson said...

I know! I did the same thing. I didn't know what I was looking for but I stumbled on the term "clipping mask" and I knew that had to be it.

LBC said...

Yeah, there's not really a search term for "how do you make it so an imported image has an irregular cut out shape so it doesn't have a white background?" But voila! Clipping path/mask – that has to be it!