3.30.2005

But upon returning home...

Some of you may be wondering why I didn't mention the foil.

Because it deserves its own post.

This post is picture-heavy, and the pictures are pretty much all blurry and strangely lit. I tried using a flash for these, but when you have a cheap camera and every surface in the picture is reflective, it just doesn't work. The Weekly has much better ones.

I told you Chris and I came home from our trip yesterday. What we came home to was this:



That's aluminum foil covering our front door. You can't tell from the picture, but it has "Welcome Home, Chris & Liz" written on it in a rainbow assortment of marker colors. This was obviously unexpected, but I recovered quickly. It's not the first time my friends have altered reality in my absence. Nice try, guys, but you only slowed me down for a moment.

Then we opened the door.



Above, you see our refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, cabinet doors, step ladder, and random boxes we left by the door done over in beautiful chrome finish.



Ah, the spice rack. Chris is a chef trainee. He has lots of spices. Now, he has lots of individually wrapped, sparkly spices.



And there are his lovely knife and cookware sets, hanging out above the stove, pretending like this is all perfectly normal.

The pictures really can't show you how overwhelming the sight was. After laughing maniacally for a few minutes, I found myself in silent awe of the scene. It was really beautiful. I'd never seen our kitchen looking quite so clean and orderly and shiny. I stood there for a moment contemplating just how long this must have taken. It was about that time that Chris started opening cabinet doors and discovering that even some of the contents of the cabinets had been foiled. It occured to me that I hadn't checked inside the fridge.



Every. Single. Thing. Except one can of Milwaukee's Best. I guess they had their reasons for that. I'd like to think that they knew it didn't really belong.



The devil's in the details. Witness how each of these limes was wrapped with care and placed lovingly back into their meshy nest.



Doesn't it look even more refreshing when it's silver?

They really outdid themselves. The kitchen was by far the most exhaustively covered room of the house, but our phones, toilet seat, TV remotes, coasters, and a few other random objects with no apparent commonality were also mummified. We've taken down about a quarter of it and rolled it into a ball. Right now it's about the size of a volleyball, but I predict it will have a hard time fitting into a 9" wok by the time we're done.

No comments: