1.03.2006

Smooth sailing?

I had the lamest New Year ever. Well, ever for me. I'm sure someone out there has had a lamer New Year than me, but I don't know this person, and if I did, I probably wouldn't talk to him because he'd be so lame. Anyways, I was all psyched up to go to this party at a friend's house (a friend's new house that I've never seen because I'm a bad friend). Actually I had four different options for New Years: friend's house, brother's kick-ass party (complete with Moon Walk), church party, and visiting Chris at work around midnight. About 3 p.m., I came down with one of those kick-in-the-ass dizzying vomitous headaches I get sometimes and I don't think I lasted past 9. I sat at home and tried to find something to stare at that didn't hurt and took enough Tylenol PM to knock out a baby elephant, or a good-sized cow (provided they had my constitution, which is nil...on the bright side, I don't foresee ever needing a prescription sedative).

So that's how my year began. Comatose.

This will be the year that I either learn to be less of a flake or die of frustration over my aptitude for losing things and forgetting things in direct proportion to their value, importance, or urgency.

This will be the year Chris and I decide our financial future, in terms of whether we set ourselves up for eventual solvency or eventual bankruptcy.

This will be the year I either apply myself to truly learning the art of the iron, or Chris finally gives up and starts sending everything to a dry cleaner. This should have some direct effect on our aforementioned financial future.

This will be the year I decide whether to be a company man or a free agent.

This will be the year I either decide to live a healthier, more active life, or decide to quit caring and rot away slowly like the other 70 percent of America's population.

This will be the year I decide to live by the Spirit or the Flesh.

This will be the year we start making decisions about our lives, or the year we decide to put them off for another year.

I wish I could speak with any certainty or authority on these topics, but most of the time, these things get decided for you along the path of least resistance. I shudder to think where that will take me.

4 comments:

Cookie said...

I'll teach you to iron if you catch me up on Battlestar Galactica.

woodlayson said...

Done.

Anonymous said...

Always live by the flesh.. the spirit can fend for its damn self!

woodlayson said...

Sage advice, FA. Why was I ever alarmed about the fact that you have a child?