8.03.2005

Snip snip

Nibbler came home from the vet yesterday with fewer internal organs. We've been trying to keep her indoors for the past few weeks until we could get her to the vet, but she's crafty. I half-expected to get a call from the vet saying "We're sorry, we can't do the surgery. Your ho-cat is pregnant again."

Then I started wondering, if Nibbler was pregnant, would they tell me? Or would they just...fix it? In their minds I guess it would be safe to assume that if we're having our cat spayed, we don't want any kittens. But surely they would ask. Right?

I think all this guilt over a situation that probably didn't even occur is partly due to the fact that I was guilty about forcing her to be spayed in the first place. Even though I know she can't really decide for herself. Even though if she could decide, she'd probably tell me to let her have all the cat-sex she wants without fear of gestation. Even though millions of cats are starving and homeless due to overpopulation. I know it defies logic and reason and even compassion. I still feel bad that I took something from her without asking. Lame, huh?

Later on I'm going to educate you guys on what you should and shouldn't be doing for the health of your spine. You might be surprised. Tune in to Nightly News at 10!

5 comments:

Cookie said...

Liz,

If it makes you feel better, both Angie, my sister, and I have all been in that same situation, and every time the vet has told us that our cat was pregnant before they did the surgery.

That's how we all ended up with so many damn cats.

Anonymous said...

i am cold and heartless. because if i was getting my cat "fixed" and the vet was all, "um, she's she's got puppies." my response might be something like, "huh. yeah, is that gonna cost extra?...well, how much extra?...oh hell just do it."
heart. of. stone.

oh, stop it. if i lived on a farm or something it'd be different.
-jp

woodlayson said...

Jaimie, you have no excuse. You know you could call me up and be all, "I've got these kittens" and I'd be all, "Sold!" Anyway, you're completely overlooking the benefits of pest control. We have zero roaches, and the only ant I've seen all week just found Peanut's cute little Jaws of Doom.

Cookie, that does make me feel better. I figured they'd say something, but you never know about those shifty vet types.

LBC said...

yeah, they would totally say something, cause it does cost extra to abort the kitties.

i am somewhere between heart of stone and totally soft. i contemplate getting another cat not because i want one, but because i don't want satine to be lonely while she's locked inside. and then i think "but what if she's happier as an only cat?"

stone soft, you guys.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you'd be willing to take extra kittens. so anyway, i've got this crazy neighbor...
sold?
-jp