5.25.2005

Cheers and Jeers

Everybody's talking about entertainment so I thought I'd chime in.

For the record, I loved, loved, loved Revenge of the Sith. Also, I agree with pretty much everything she had to say. (That link was stolen from Laura's blog, so go there too.) I saw the flaws, every last one of them. The story left more thirsty after it was over than I was before I saw it. It was like really craving water and getting coffee instead. I think what I loved what that for the first time since that bratty kid walked onscreen, I found Anakin to be a sympathetic character. Many people will disagree with me there, but my heart went out to him, and that's all there is to it.

Cookie talked about her newfound love for House, and can I just chime in that I'm right there with you? I've seen bits of episodes this season, but for the last three weeks, I haven't missed one. The characters are interesting and well-developed, not to mention portrayed by decent actors (even the young ones...GASP!). And Dr. House is so so funny, even though I wouldn't in a million years want him to be my doctor. I also like it because deep down, it amuses me that Chris can't stand it. It really bothers him that the main character is such an incredible ass. He just can't get past it, and he can't understand how I can.

"If I said that to you, you'd slap me."

"Heh. If you said that to me, I'd leave you."

"So why is it funny when he says it?"

"Um. He's on TV."

But the winner for Best New Drama in my book is Medium. Again, I lean toward mature, experienced actors whom I can trust to deliver the lines they're given responsibly. After watching Patricia Arquette and Jake Weber banter about who's taking the kids to school, I find Smallville and One Tree Hill unwatchable.

I guess I don't have any jeers to speak of, at least not out of the shows I watch regularly. But then, if I didn't like them, I guess I wouldn't watch them. Does it count that Law & Order isn't the same without Jerry Orbach? Maybe it counts if I throw in that I don't like the new lady ADA. But I didn't like Elizabeth Rohm at first either (even though she did time on Angel), so I'll give her a shot and try to come to terms with the fact that Angie Harmon is gone and no one will ever take her place.

1 comment:

LBC said...

God, Smallville is completely unwatchable! I think part of what makes it sooooo bad is that it's a character you are programmed from childhood to like. So here's this abomination of Superman and that just makes all the bad acting and ludicrous Charm-like storylines that much more unbearable.

I think One Tree Hill must be like Dawson's Creek. The kids are kinda likable in their own way, but all the writing is MELODRAMA galore. They screw over this one likable character in every conceivable way, which is why I finally said "look, Tree Hill, you may be cheesy entertainment, but if you can't stop this addiction you have to hurting Keith, well, I have shit to do. buh-bye."

But then, exhausted from 5 loads of laundry, I sat down on Tuesday and with no Veronica Mars nor Gilmore Girls, I watched the OTH finale. It's like when I was in high school and HATED Melrose Place and inexplicably watched it anyway.