2.22.2005

Around the world on a whim

Happy birthday, West!

West went on a school-sponsored cruise with his choir group and their horrid garden gnome of a director last weekend. So Mom and Dad took the opportunity to get away themselves and went to Panama City Beach.

I got a call Sunday night from Mom, wanting me to look up how long it would take them to drive to from the beach to New Orleans, where West's cruise was docking. He and his girlfriend, Danika (am I spelling that right?), wanted to spend the day in the French Quarter instead of going back with everyone else. How daring! How impromptu! It'll never happen.

But it totally did happen. My parents drove from Panama City Beach to New Orleans, seven hours, in the middle of the night, so they could meet the boat in the morning and loaf with West and Danika in New Orleans for half a day. How cool is that?

Sadly, that makes me the only member of my nuclear family who was not in New Orleans yesterday. But I did score a Cafe du Monde apron, a Mardi Gras/jazz themed stovetop spoon rest, and a New Orleans bartending guide. I'm totally making a Voodoo Sunrise when I get home.

No comments: