6.15.2006

Phone Phobia

A few things.

First, Jaimie, you may think you're off the hook for that J. D. Robb book, but you're really not. I just don't want you to see it coming. *cough*NoraRoberts*cough*

Second, about the Ask Liz thing. I took an unscheduled break from Ask Liz this past week because I TOTALLY. FREAKING. FORGOT. I mean, completely. Didn't cross my mind. Jaimie asked me about it Monday night and I just blinked for a minute, as if I were some alien clone of the real Liz trying frantically to access one of the more obscure memories I downloaded from her unconscious brain. Boy did I think my cover was totally blown. But as it turns out, Liz forgets shit all the time, so the Earth friend just rolled her eyes and said, "Oh Liz."

Now, about the phone thing. I'm feeling especially candid today, so I'm going to tell you all about how much I hate phones. Cell phones, cordless phones, wall-mounted phones, phones with the curly wire thing, big phones, small phones, ear phones, micro phones...

People who haven't known me since way back sometimes have a hard time believing that I'm an introvert at my very core. I'm actually pretty proud of myself for overcoming some of the more crippling social drawbacks of that personality type, but in many ways, I'm still the posterchild. I write a hell of a lot better than I talk. I have a very few very close relationships as opposed to many acquaintances. I prefer smaller, more intimate social gatherings, and even though a great big party might sound like a lot of fun, when I get there, I'm exhausted in about 10 minutes. And as competent as I've had to become at talking to complete strangers in a friendly, outgoing manner, it wears me out. It sounds crazy, but I feel better after 30 minutes on the treadmill than I do after 5 minutes on the phone with someone I don't know, and I don't just mean psychologically.

This impairment even carries over into people that I do know but, for whatever reason, I'm not completely comfortable talking with. Maybe it's an acquaintance or maybe it's just someone I don't talk to on the phone much, even if I see them a lot in person. What it boils down to is that, as you all probably suspect by now, I ignore phone calls a lot. I'm working on it, and it doesn't mean I don't love you.

There is, however, a short list of numbers that I don't typically ignore. I started thinking about this when Jaimie said on the fleeganforum that I was hard to get in touch with, and I got all indignant and thought, "But I actually DO answer your calls. Do you have any idea what a step that is for me?"

You can leave out the comment where you point out I'm psychotic, Mr. Obvious.

Chris, Mom, Dad, West, Jaimie, Kris'n'Laura, and Mommie Ann (my grandmother). That's the short list of folks I never blow off, at least not without a good, sane, normal reason. There's other numbers that would probably fall into that category, including most other family members, but I'm only including those who call pretty frequently.

Calls I absolutely never answer include any number I don't recognize, even if it looks vaguely familiar. This often causes Chris fits. He doesn't have these phone issues and can't relate in the least to this particular quirk. He MUST KNOW the identity of the mysterious caller on the other end and can't fathom why I'm not in the least bit curious.

Calls that don't fall into either of those categories depend entirely too much on my mood. That's what I must apologize for to anyone who has been the victim of my phone-hate. Until I get that under control, you might try text messages, which for me, again with the preference for the written word, is more like opening a present.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

will it change anything if i tell you that i'm only halfway through the book...and there's a possibility that i won't finish it?
hmm?
i hate answering the phone at the HCH. it's such a crapshoot. is it a salesman? is it a bill collector? is it someone in their apartment who fell down and can't get up? did someone's neighbor die? fire? when the phone rings my insides screech and i need a smoke.
-jp

woodlayson said...

I couldn't have put it better. Only that's me all the time, so it's kind of less rational.

If you don't finish the book, I can probably rebate some of your cool point deductions, but I'll have to get it okayed with the manager.

Anonymous said...

i bought the Wicked soundtrack.
i have no cool points left. unless gay stuff is in? is it? i don't think it's ever in.
-jp

Cookie said...

Gay stuff is in, being gay is out. Straight is the new gay. We're fabulous!

Liz I don't even know any of your phone numbers, I don't think. I am glad you came clean, so in case I ever needed to call I could just call Chris instead.

I love when my friends call me, but I cannot make a phone call to save my life. I've been friends with Angie for 15 years, and I've been chilling with my sister for 29 years now.

It's an *event* if I call them instead of them calling me.

woodlayson said...

That's how I am. If I call someone, it's to ask a question or relay urgent information. Ask Jaimie how many hands she needs to count the times I've ever called her to "chat."

Cookie, we really need each others' phone numbers. It'll be this funny thing where neither of us will ever actually call the other, but we have the number, just in case.

I'd totally text you.

Anonymous said...

i need no hands to count. liz has never in her life called me to chat. that's okay, we're just not that close. i mean, i don't even hug her.
-jp

Cookie said...

Liz! I just looked in my phone and I *do* have your number. That just goes to show that I never call anybody. I'd text you, but my fear of texting is the same as calling, pretty much.

Do any of the Fleegans hug? I like to hug, but only if I know the person is also a hugger. Otherwise, it's just weird. Okay, well if something bad happens, and you're like, crying, I am GOING to hug you. Get over it.

Otherwise, I'll just laugh at your jokes or call you names to show my affection.

LBC said...

Tangentially speaking of this, whenever Jaimie must call Cookie, she always calls me first to get Cookie's number.

And whenever I need to call the Woods, not specifically Liz, I always call Chris. Because he's a guy and they have a primal need to answer their cell phone. Way too many times have I called Liz first and found out later her cell was (a) dead (b) lost (c) at home (d) in spanish.

I only hug if hugged first.

Anonymous said...

I'd hug you guys, but I'm in Alabaster :o( I miss you all! I'm calling for a girls night! -Kristie

woodlayson said...

I'd probably hug more if I weren't surrounded by non-huggers. I don't consider hugs to be uncomfortable or awkward, unless of course the person doing the hugging is someone from whom any touch of any kind would register as such. I'll say this: I'm an excellent hug-reciprocator.

Anonymous said...

bragger.

-jp