6.21.2008

House Blog

Looks like we finally have a ballpark for how much our revised house plan will cost to dry in: about $60,000, possibly less. If the old rule of thumb holds true, we should be able to get into it lock and key (look at me throwing out the mad insider lingo) for about twice that. That, my friends, would actually be...drumroll please...within our budget. I realize there are a LOT of variables in there. For instance, I'm sure that "dry-in x 2" rule assumes that you don't go overboard on any of your finishing, which we probably will on a couple of things, like the wood windows (I'm not a fan of the look of vinyl, or the fact that universally, the color options offered are white and almond. Except one company we looked at had a Desert Sand option. Fancy, no? No.). On the other hand, we're taking on a significant chunk of the work entirely on our own, which might balance us back out. Or not. I've never once heard that story about the couple that built their beautiful, perfect, exactly-the-way-they-wanted-it dream home under budget. Or within budget, come to think of it. So in my grounded, completely realistic appraisal, we will obviously be the first.

5 comments:

fleegan said...

wood windows? really?
on purpose? wood?
do you really understand what you're asking for here? DO YOU?! cos THOSE BITCHES NEED TO BE MAINTAINED. and painting windows is nearly as much fun as painting louvred doors.

woodlayson said...

Yeah, well, they've got these fancy "clad" windows now, where they're coated with some kind of titanium-kryptonite alloy on the outside. I dunno, man, I just work here, but THEY HAVE COLORS. Why don't vinyl windows have colors? Somebody out there with magical internet skills, you find me a vinyl window with colors and I'll quit with the wood shenanigans.

fleegan said...

white goes with everything. it does! we swears it. i've never seen white windows not work.
have you? i need to see how they don't work!

LBC said...

Liz, I feel your pain on the blandy-bland of white windows. But JPJ makes an excellent point on the upkeep. I love the look of all the bungalow-craftsman windows downtown. However, the functionality of the vinyl wins me over in the practicality department. Why DOESN'T vinyl come in more options?

woodlayson said...

I figure it's because they can't (or won't) make purely vinyl windows that are different colors on each side. Sure, burgundy might look great as an outside trim, but inside? Maybe not so much. But with the cladding on wood windows, the outside can be any color and the inside can still be natural or painted white.

Anyways, they come with a 20-year warranty. I really do think they've come a long way. Still reading up on it though.