5.15.2006

Christmas, Part II

Mother's Day usually isn't so action-packed as it was yesterday. Or as exhausting. Maybe because it's usually preceded by a Saturday. Not that I'm complaining about Mother's Day. God knows those women deserve to be venerated. If not for whatever chemical imbalance led them all to procreate, none of us would be alive. It's widely regarded as the only constructive form of mass hysteria, although some have argued the contrary.

Not to belittle the occasion, but it's what you might call a minor holiday, as opposed to heavy hitters like Christmas and Thanksgiving. As an aside, have you noticed how the big holidays don't have "Day" in their titles? You can add the "Day", but it's totally unnecessary. It's as if to say, "Of course I'm a day...I'm The Day." Holidays that have to point out that they're a Day just end up looking like they have something to prove. Of course, holidays that omit the "Day" come off as pretentious. It's a lose-lose, really.

Right, my point is, why do holidays have to be so tiring? You're spending quality time with people you love. Okay, maybe not everybody has ideal relationships with their family, but there doesn't seem to be a correlation between the exhaustion levels of those who do and those who don't. Is it psychosomatic? An epidemic of codependence? Is it the shopping?

3 comments:

Cookie said...

Liz,

I like how you use big words.

Cookie simple.

woodlayson said...

It's kinda funny that sometimes I'll read some article with a bunch of big words and I'll think something like, "How pretentious can this guy get? Is he trying to make it so nobody understands what he's saying, just to make himself feel smarter?" Well, maybe. Or maybe he grew up with an English teacher.

[mutual admiration society] I love the way you guys write, better than how I write. I guess it's cool we all have our own styles and get to appreciate each others' too. But I still wish I had a "Jaimie" button or a "Cookie" button on my computer where whatever I write would come out sounding like it would if you wrote it.[/mas]

Anonymous said...

i don't think your writing sounds pretentious. whateverthehell that means. hee.
the Jaime Button would just put in a lot of swear words and would add overreactions to simple things.
-jp