9.20.2005

Back in my own head

As of this past Saturday, Chris and I have been married for an entire year. Paper, baby! Yeah!

We went to Chattanooga and stayed in a suite and ordered room service and went to a white-table-cloth restaurant (which Chris assures me is a title of distinction). All this splurging might've been kept under tighter control if it hadn't been so damn hard to get there.

I went into work Friday morning hoping to make a few phone calls and be back home in an hour to pack and get out of Dodge. I'll spare you the hair-pulling details, but suffice it to say that at noon when I was finally pulling out of the lot, I had a feeling we would not be leaving on schedule.

I'd asked Chris to pick up the house a little and make babysitting arrangements for the kitties while I was gone to work. When I got home, this had not been done. It was no fault of his; he'd gone outside that morning to find that one of his tires was low and knew he had to do something about it before we left or it would be flat when we got back.

So we're trying to rush to get things cleaned up and Chris is like, "Look, Nibbler's the only cat we have who's even allowed to go out yet. We know how much they eat in a day. Let's just set 'em up and let 'em go."

And I said, "Doesn't that make us negligent parents?" And he said, "Not if we don't tell anyone."

Oops. Hee.

I went for it because that would mean we wouldn't have to clean the house up if we weren't expecting anybody to be there, and I tried to brush away the thought that most of the time people are at our house while we're on vacation, they're not expected. But I mean, come on, am I really going to clean my house so that when my friends come by to tie all the knick-knacks together with yarn, they won't think less of me?

So we left the kitties with plenty of food and water and cardboard boxes to discover, and we trucked it. Everything went smoothly until we were about 20 or 25 miles outside of Chattanooga. I started noticing a shimmy to the car that I've noticed before and idly mentioned to Chris that that's probably not a good sign. But it's an old car and I've had lots of old cars and they all shake. So mostly I ignore stuff like that, which is not a good habit, but what're you gonna do? They all shake.

Then the scary noises started, and about the time I got through saying, "That does not sound good," the car suddenly and violently dropped lower on one side and I cringed at the tell-tale thwapthwapthwapthwapthwap. Did I check before we left to see if the car had a spare? No. But Chris didn't either and isn't it the guy's job to think of shit like that? Anyway, we had one. One of those cute little toy ones, underinflated. Eh, it got us to the nearest gas station.

Long story short (don't say it), we got there and had a great time and we got to relax in a hot tub the size of our bedroom. I suppose it was worth the trouble, if you don't count the two hours we had to wait at the WalMart tire center on the way back. Have you ever tried to kill two hours at WalMart without buying something? We managed to spend less than $10.

3 comments:

LBC said...

Holy shit, the exact same thing just happened to Cookie! Weeeeeeerrrrd.

Cookie said...

Liz!

Congratulations on your first year of marriage. I wish you happiness piled on top of more happiness. That is so sweet. *sniff* (allergies)

I spend $1.41 on a coke at McDonald's inside WalMart but when I left in it my buggy while I was in the bathroom they took my buggy AND my coke and it was gone when I came back.

How? HOW can you never find anyone to help you when you need it but then in the 2 minutes you're gone to the bathroom they suddenly clean up after you?

Quilla said...

For our first anniversary, we went to Chattanooga, too.
We made reservations at the wrong Hampton Inn by accident, and we ended up in the ghetto. (They asked us to sign a form, stating that anything stolen from our rooms, cars or person, would not be the hotel's responsibility. We jetted.)
By 9 p.m., we had finally found a nice hotel with a vacant room to stay at instead. You wouldn't believe how difficult that was!
Chattnooga has its own personal curse, no?